Follow This Blog

Saturday, June 04, 2011

Hoku-Hoku-An (ほくほく庵) | Tempura & Nabeyaki Udon Restaurant | Naganuma

On the weekend, I was driving in a rural area to go to my favorite udon restaurant.

*Udon is a type of thick wheat-flour noodle popular in Japanese cuisine. It is usually served hot as noodle soup in a mildly flavored broth.

I've found it! This is a sign of the restaurant!

”Hand-kneaded udon Hoku-Hoku-An" is always packed with customers during the lunch time. 

The owner had run a popular udon restaurant in Sapporo for about 20 years and now has this shop in Naganuma, 1 hr drive from Sapporo. He had learned the secret recipe in Shikoku, a sourthern part of Japan, which is the home of Sanuki udon! That's why his udon is special and has a lot of fans!

This building is very fashionable!

It has a small garden........

a pretty wreath.........

and cute cactus pots.

This noren, short curtain, has also charm!

The restaurant has some normal tables but I like to take a seat at this LONG table just behind the BIG windows so that I can enjoy eating udon while looking around the rural beauty!

The window frames are just like painting frames! I like the sense of the owner!

We ordered one cold udon and one hot udon, because the texture and flavor of udon can change depending on the temperature!

This is a special nabeyaki udon, hot udon served in a pot with broth. We were surprised to see the BIG size!!! 

HOT, HOT, HOT!!! But delicious!

I really enjoyed this udon! The mission completed!

Then we ate udon with tempura!

The udon noodles are shiny! If you enjoy udon itself, I recommend cold udon! Combination of toughness and elasticity is the essential chewing texture of a tasty udon!


This is tempura! They use local ingredients.

I like shrimp,

but I love local vegetables like this↓

They serve sweets without food additives. I like the policy of this restaurants!

I bought a tube cake!


I really enjoyed the weekend!

■Where is Hoku-Hoku-An?
If you don't like to wait for a while, plz avoid the lunch hours!

View Larger Map


■Tour guide information■
Do you need a nationally-licensed English-speaking tour guide when you travel to Hokkaido?
I'll guide you! Plz click here!